"Serenity" at Otter Lake, Huntsville, Ontario, Canada
If you are looking for supreme privacy, stunning views, beautiful natural waterfront and a rarely offered level of accommodation, this newly built architect designed and owned retreat delivers. Featuring west coast heavy timber and an extensive use of local granite this tasteful modern structure is truly unique. Treating yourself to a spa-like vacation here will create memories that will last a lifetime.
Just 15 minutes from the summer and winter bustle of downtown Huntsville, the 12-acre private forested location on quiet Otter Lake can be your home of a winter week or weekend, spring or fall break, or a lazy summer vacation on the water. If you are a nature lover and that's all you want to see and hear, nature is at your doorstep. Watch the heron fly in and out of the bay to the wetlands, catch an otter or beaver swim by or painted turtles laying eggs. "Serenity" has it all. The residents of the lake frown on the noise and pollution from the boat motors so only canoes, kayaks, sail boats and paddle boats can be seen albeit infrequently. The dock out to deeper water allows for swimming and diving or watercraft mooring.
A winding granite lane sweeps down to the cottage/home's entrance courtyard where glimpses of the lake around and through the home can be seen. The cottage/home sits on an exposed plateau of the Canadian Shield at the base of a point within meters of the lake on one side and the bay on the other.
Your attention will be captured as soon as the front door opens and you enter the foyer. Twenty five foot high floor to ceiling windows with 8' high and 7' wide sliding patio doors, flanking a granite clad Rumford wood burning fireplace, offer a magnificent outlook up Otter Lake and across Serenity Bay. The stone tile floor sets off the majestic fireplace that features hand cut and split granite stone. This lovely space will embrace winter visitors who want to relax in front of the fire while the snow gently drifts down outside, just as much as those cooling down after a day of summer fun. The Great Room also features a centrally located docking station for your iPhone or iPad that allows you to channel your music through the speaker system or use the built-in iPad or Blu-ray DVD/CD player to control the 55' Samsung Smart TV or listen to an array of Satellite radio stations.
The dining/kitchen area, within the Great Room, comfortably seats 10 at the extra-large harvest table and 4 at the kitchen island with direct access to the large outdoor Lake Terrace. The Lakeside Terrace is well appointed with teak chaise loungers alongside complimentary chairs and features a large direct connect gas BBQ, no need to worry about the propane supply! What a great place to relax with a morning coffee or that after dinner drink. With its prominent location adjacent to the dining room, the oversized sliding doors equipped with screens create a seamless indoor/outdoor environment for family and friend gatherings. For that late evening bonfire, the Lakeside Terrace also features a natural Rumford fireplace that backs onto the indoor Rumford. The 10' wide and 27' high overhanging roof protects the terrace from light showers. Or go down to the point and the dock where a fire pit sits atop a piece of the Canadian Shield.
The Chef's kitchen is designed with the professional cook in mind and features a 12' Brazilian granite slab island so all can enjoy getting involved or sit and watch the "chef" at work. The kitchen has been designed to accommodate a gas cooktop, microwave/convection oven combo unit, dishwasher, wine and beverage cooler along with a wide range of top name small appliances.
Just off to the side of the Great Room is a comfortable family room, perfect for playing games, watching TV or curling up with a good book. The oversized screened patio doors allow this room useful access to the outdoors in both summer and winter.
Continuing on down the hall in the west wing there are two large bedrooms, each with a spectacular view of the lake. Also in the west wing is a 4-piece bathroom with a vessel sink on a marble vanity.
The Loft overlooks the Great Room with a ping-pong table, yoga mats, weights for light exercise, a lovely view of the lake on one side and features a 20' high dormer window with a gorgeous view of the forest beyond on the other side. On this same level, also overlooking the Great Room, is a fourth bedroom with a king size bed and en-suite bathroom with an oversized walk-in shower with rain head, massaging jets and sliding glass door.
Back on the main level, just off of the entrance making it central to the entire house is a fully equipped laundry room complete with washer, dryer, utility sink and ironing board.
The master bedroom is on the main floor in the east wing and features a king size bed, Scandinavian high-efficiency wood burning stove, a large walk-around closet and dressing area and a stunning en-suite bathroom with trough style wash basin, oversized walk-in shower with rain head and massaging jets. This very private side of the cottage/home provides spectacular views across the bay and down into the wetlands, even from the washroom and shower, again, meters from the water's edge where wildlife abounds.
This stunning property is accessible and enjoyable year round, so by all means take advantage of the warmer weather, an autumn blast of colour or a winter wonderland. "Serenity" provides enjoyment all year round with something special throughout each season.
- 3,000+ sq.ft. lakefront cottage/home on 12 private acres
- 1,700 ft. of natural Muskoka shoreline and wetlands
- 4 bedrooms (king; king; queen + single bunk; queen + single bunk)
- linens and bathroom towels are supplied
- fully equipped luxury-grade chef's kitchen (Kitchen Aid)
- microwave/convection oven combo unit
- gas cook top
- convection toaster oven
- beverage/wine fridge
- coffee grinder/maker
- programmable kettle
- slow cooker
- blender and food processor
- 12 ft. granite counter island with prep sink and 4 bar stools
- large dining room table with 8 chairs (comfortably seats 10 with extra chairs available)
- 1 - 4 piece master en-suite (east wing) bathroom (with walk-in shower with body sprays and rain shower)
- 1 - 3 piece loft en-suite bathroom (with walk-in shower with body sprays and rain shower)
- 1 - 4 piece (main level, west wing, adjacent to the 2 queen size bedrooms)
- 1 - 2 piece powder room (main level)
- NO telephone
- good cell phone reception
- laundry room with Maytag top loading washing machine and front loading dryer complete with utility sink
- ceiling fans and remote controlled high level awning windows in all bedrooms and central Great Room/dining room and kitchen to promote natural ventilation
- NO air-conditioning
- NO automatic back-up generator
- hydronic radiant floor heating throughout
- granite Rumford wood-burning fireplace in Great Room
- high-efficiency wood-burning stove in master bedroom
- 2 Samsung flat screen Satellite TV's (great room and family room)
- 2 CD/DVD/Blu-Ray players
- built-in IPad sound system control station
- built-in IPhone and IPod docking station
- Wi-Fi (limited data, no streaming or downloading)
- ping-pong table
- walk out to large 55 ft. x 16 ft. covered lakeside terrace
- large Napoleon Prestige Pro direct connect propane BBQ (on lakeside terrace)
- exterior Rumford wood-burning fireplace on the terrace
- teak outdoor seating and chaise lounge furniture (2 chaise lounges, 2 reclining deck chairs, 2 end tables)
- Muskoka chairs at dock and fire pit
- 2 hanging chairs outside the master bedroom
- fire pit on the point
- 30 ft. x 5 ft. linear dock
- swim ladder
- Langford canoe
- Langford kayak
- lifejackets (some, various sizes)
- water source is well, built in water filtration system
- privacy rating is 1 (1=excellent, 2=good, 3=some)
- no boat launch on lake (no motorized boats permitted)
- For your convenience, there will be a mandatory cleaning fee of $400 added to your bill so that you don't have to do a detailed cleaning yourself (you are still required to leave the cottage neat and tidy, as well as remove all your garbage and recycling)
No pets, no smoking, maximum number of occupants is 8, noise restriction after 11 PM. No motorized boats on this lake.
For your convenience, there will be a mandatory cleaning fee of $400 added to your bill so that you don't have to do a detailed cleaning yourself (you are still required to leave the cottage neat and tidy, as well as remove all your garbage and recycling).
With this cottage there is a mandatory $1,500 security deposit upon booking.
Check in 4 pm and check out 10 am