The Cooperage House of Haliburton, Ontario
Time to step away from the chaos of city life and take a step back in time with an historic vacation on Haliburton’s Eagle Lake! This gorgeous, 4,850 sq.ft., 3 level, 5-bedroom, 4-bathroom cottage sits on a 7 acre site of a former 19th century cooperage that crafted wine oak barrels. You’ll know you are in a special place when you approach the century-year-old stone walls that surround "The Cooperage House". Located on pristine Eagle Lake this rustic-chic gem combines luxury architecture and design with the careful conservation of Haliburton history.
As you step through the grand double doors into the foyer, you will be greeted with a stunning lake-view great room featuring 20-foot cathedral ceilings, floor to ceiling windows, and a wood-burning stone fireplace that warms the room and provides a centerpiece for cozy conversation. The open concept living/dining/kitchen has a custom, fully-stocked, farmhouse-style kitchen with a center island and barstool seating waiting to be loaded with stacks of pancakes prepared on the Jenn-Air range and at dinnertime, a beautiful harvest dining table seating 10-12, is the perfect place to dine while taking in the peaceful lake-views with ambient music from the iPod Bose docking station.
After dinner, everyone can enjoy the evening in their own way: chatting on the deck or by the crackling fire at the lakefront fire pit, reading or browsing the internet in the sunroom (WiFi is available throughout the house), or relaxing in the hot tub. Kids, meanwhile, can head to the game room to play ping-pong or Wii gaming or to watch a movie in the big screen media room. The entire family will enjoy all the spacious, designer common areas waiting to be filled with laughter, music, food, games, and the people you love.
All 5 tastefully appointed bedrooms in the cottage have heated floors for happy toes in the morning and are outfitted in soft, decadent duvets and pillows, with carefully chosen concept art on the walls. The main level master bedroom is lake facing with a gorgeous 5-piece ensuite bathroom, complete with soaker tub and separate glassed-in rain shower, and a walk-out to the deck. The upstairs “Cabin Cozy Suite” is a space fit for a luxury log cabin, with a queen bed and an attached Jack-and-Jill bath. Next to it, “The Loft Room” is a family-friendly wonderland, with a queen bed and a full-over bunk bed. The lower level has two lake facing bedrooms, one called the “Safari Suite” that makes a statement with bold prints and decor and the other has two queen beds with colourful nautical accents.
The Cooperage House property is a place with a story to tell, take a stroll around and discover relics like the walls of the cooperage’s boiler room and metal artifacts the owners found nearby. A hot pond on the property once thawed frozen timber to prepare it for barrel-making.
Sunlight filters through the trees and shines on peaceful Eagle Lake with 300 feet of southern-exposure lake frontage, including a gently sloping sandy-silt beach blanketed in wood pulp from the former mill, ideal conditions for dips on hot summer days and just right for small children and people of all ages. There are canoes, kayaks and stand up paddle boards at your disposal so you can glide across the lake’s calm waters anytime you want! Eagle Lake links to Moose Lake at its east end and the lake is prime for fishing too...smallmouth bass, lake trout and whitefish are all common here and you don’t even have to leave the property. Bring your fishing poles and try to beat a past guest’s record: 42 fish caught just off the dock!
If you can tear yourself away from the cottage and all that it has to offer, there is a multitude of places to explore and enjoy! Haliburton Lake has a public beach with a playground, weekly baseball for the kids and swimming lessons are available. The Haliburton School of the Arts is a great attraction in the area, offering many summer courses including mosaics, kid’s cooking, glass blowing and soap making.
From the cottage it is but a 5-10 minute drive away to Sir Sam’s for downhill skiing in the winter and mountain biking in the summer. Also just a short drive away is Moosewoods with groomed cross country ski trails. But you don’t even have to jump into the car to find great roads for cycling that can be had right from your doorstep.
Enjoy an amazing getaway for the whole family! What are you waiting for!
- 5 bedrooms (main level - queen; upper level - queen; single/full bunk bed; lower level - queen; 2 queens) *Please note master bedroom and ensuite not available for off season bookings*
- fully equipped kitchen
- Boche dishwasher
- wine fridge
- 2 coffee makers
- 2 blenders
- toaster oven
- Jenn-Air gas range stove
- large kitchen island with 6 bar stools
- dining room table with 10 chairs
- NO telephone
- good cell phone reception
- 1 - 2 piece bathroom (main level)
- 1 - 4 piece bathroom (lower level)
- 1 - 4 piece bathroom (semi ensuite - upper level)
- 1 - 5 piece bathroom (master bedroom ensuite - main level)
- washer/dryer (not shown in photos)
- ceiling fans in bedrooms on the main floor and upper level
- ceiling fan in great room
- forced-air propane heating
- NO central air-conditioning
- NO automatic back-up generator
- stone wood-burning fireplace - main level living room (some wood available)
- 30" TV - living room
- 40" TV - lower level family room
- 50" TV - main level master bedroom
- 2 DVD players
- DVD library (1000+ movies!)
- book library
- board games
- Wii game console
- WiFi (limited data, no streaming or downloading)
- home theatre room with 4 chairs and projection screen - lower level
- ping pong table - lower level family room
- sauna - lower level
- screened-in sunroom with table and 6 chairs - main level
- expansive wrap-around deck
- deck outdoor furniture (2 patio sofas, 3 Muskoka chairs, 4 chairs, dining table with 4 chairs)
- propane BBQ
- charcoal BBQ
- outdoor fire pit (some wood available)
- 6 chairs at fire pit
- badminton net and racquets
- bocce ball
- 2 fishing rods
- snow shoes
- sandy beach
- dock (ramp with floater)
- swim ladder
- 2 Muskoka chairs on dock
- 2 kayaks
- 2 stand up paddle boards
- treasure island floaty
- lifejackets (some, various sizes)
- water source is drilled well, potable
- privacy rating is 2 (1=excellent, 2=good, 3=some)
- public boat launch on lake (5 minute walk away)
- With this cottage there is a mandatory $1,500 security deposit upon booking
- For your convenience, there will be a mandatory cleaning fee of $350 plus HST added to your bill so that you don't have to do a detailed cleaning yourself (you are still required to leave the cottage neat and tidy, as well as remove all your garbage and recycling)
Pet upon approval of owner, no smoking, maximum number of occupants is 12, bring own linens and towels, bring own drinking water if preferred, noise restriction after 11 PM.
Check in 3 pm and check out 11 am
NOTE: For your convenience, there will be a mandatory cleaning fee of $350 plus HST added to your bill so that you don't have to do a detailed cleaning yourself (you are still required to leave the cottage neat and tidy, as well as remove all your garbage and recycling)
NOTE: With this cottage there is a mandatory $1,500 security deposit upon booking